The Whittaker Inn COVID-19 Response
Updates to Keep Our Guests and Staff Safe
We wanted to take a moment to address some of the concerns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic. First and foremost, the health and safety of our guests, visitors and staff have been and will continue to be our highest priority. We have always paid the utmost attention to the cleanliness of the guest rooms, kitchen, dining and gathering spaces at The Whittaker. With that being said, we are taking additional precautions by cleaning and disinfecting all areas of the Inn with even greater frequency in light of recent, global events.
Here are the current details. We will continue to monitor the situation and stay in full compliance with the Indiana Back on Track schedule as we move forward:
- Flexible Cancellation Policy: We are offering a flexible cancellation policy during the duration of the pandemic. This is not only our business but also our home, so we kindly ask that you please stay home if you are sick, or suspect that you may have been exposed to someone who is. Our normal cancellation policy is 72 hours prior to arrival excluding football weekends that are 14 days prior to arrival, but if you become sick or government regulations are in place that prevents you from traveling to the inn you can cancel with a full refund.
- Express or Contact Free Check-in: We will still greet you with a smile, from a safe distance, when you come in the building but we have put your room keys, turndown treats, carryout dinner menu, and room service breakfast cards in a door hanger on your door. You can now check-in on your phone as long as we have your e-mail address on file. We ask all of our guests to give us a call or text (765-430-3081) when they are on their way to the Inn, so we know to expect you. We can also arrange for a 100% contact-free check-in as well, if you so desire.
- Express Check-out: When you are ready to depart, please leave the keys in your room and call or text us to settle your bill.
- Public Spaces: All public space light switches, door handles, night kitchen refrigerators, ice machines and coffee machine surfaces - essentially any surfaces which guests may come into frequent contact with are regularly sanitized and cleaned to help minimize the spread of germs. Hand sanitizer is available when you arrive to the inn in the public space, and every guestroom has a small bottle of hand sanitizer spray as part of the amenity kit for use during your stay.
- Mask Policy: As this is both our home and business and in keeping in line with the Indiana Governor’s guidelines we ask that when using the night kitchens and relaxing in the gathering spaces that everyone wears a mask. We look forward to the day when this is not necessary, but currently, this is the safest course of action.
Dining: Reservations and pre-ordering of food is required for both overnight and local dining. All dining parties must not exceed 6 persons to ensure that social distancing requirements are achieved.
- For Overnight Guests: Starting May 11th overnight guests will have the option to eat breakfast on the patio or in the dining room as we have spaced all tables 6’ apart. Breakfast order cards are now provided with your check-in packet so you can designate your time to eat and menu selections in advance. Room service will now be an option. There will be no self-service coffee/tea offerings in the dining room or buffets of any kind based on health regulations. Individual coffee pots will be provided at your table. Self-service coffee stations will still be available in the night kitchens, with cups provided in your guest room for your use. If you would like the carryout dinner option brought to your room, we have included that menu with your check-in packet as noted above. We will set up a tray stand outside of your room and will knock when we deliver your meal. We are also providing single-use condiments (salt, pepper, sugar, etc.). All food is prepared onsite while wearing face coverings and gloves.
For Public Dining: The reopening of in-person dining at The Whittaker will be a gradual process as we safely navigate the new safety norms of the Covid-19 pandemic. During stages 2 & 3 of the Indiana “Back on Track” plan outlined by the governor we will continue to offer our carryout dining 7 days a week from 4-8 pm with pick up every 15 minutes. Starting on Monday, May 18th, we will be opening our Outdoor Patio for carryout dining - meaning guests can pick up their order and instead of heading home, they can enjoy it outside on our Patio. You will also have the option of ordering your carryout meal and bringing your own chairs and/or blanket and having a picnic on the grounds of The Whittaker as long as maintaining 6’ distance between other diners. With guidance from the government guidelines, we will re-evaluate local conditions and open the inside Dining Room and Patio for enjoyment of our carryout menu with table service, when we feel it is safe to do so. Seating is limited so making reservations at least 48 hours in advance is recommended. We will continue to only do one seating of each table as was standard of our operations prior to the pandemic.
- Housekeeping: We have always taken utmost care to ensure the rooms are clean, but now all rooms are cleaned with our staff wearing gloves and face masks. Whenever possible we will have at least 48 hours in between guests for overnight stays in addition to our enhanced cleaning procedures; contact the hotel directly to book if you want to verify 48 hour vacancy before your stay. When guests stay multiple nights, we will only enter the room to clean upon request until their departure. We will provide any replacement or extra linens in a bag outside of the room door. All laundry is done on-premise with commercial grade equipment and detergents/disinfectants. Our linens never leave our property. Please note all guest rooms have their own individually controlled ductless HVAC systems so there is no shared air from any other rooms.
- Staff: All staff, in accordance with Tippecanoe County guidelines, will have their temperature taken and a symptom check prior to starting work each day.
- Robes: We know many of our guests enjoy our robes, so these are now individually packaged so that is very clear that they have not been used. We have also done the same for the extra blanket that we have in each room.
- Glassware and Snacks: We are putting a two glasses, and two mugs in each guest room prior to check-in. Ice and all beverage and snack requests can be brought to your room if you desire, otherwise, they will be available in the night kitchens.
- Fitness Room: In accordance with the current state guidelines the fitness room is open but there is a limit of one person in the room at a time; or a max of 2 persons if the guests are staying the same room.